Why OTRS is the solution you are looking for
OTRS is not only a ticketing system but also an IT Service Management solution structured on ITIL standard processes, ITIL v3 compliant.
The IT department is now the key department of any company, it must be manned and regulated to create automated processes that can improve response times. It is precisely with the automation and the quality of the processes that the game is played.
It is no coincidence that ITIL, a discipline focused on the quality of service perceived by customers and OTRS support its entire infrastructure, from requirements to best practices.
The ITIL v3 core books, released on 30 May 2007, are the following:
- SERVICE STRATEGY: includes organizational goals and the client requirements and describes the following processes: Strategy Generation, Service Portfolio Management, Demand Management, Financial Management.
- SERVICE DESIGN: transforms a service strategy into a plan for creating company objectives and describes the following processes: Service Catalogue Management, Service Level Management, Capacity Management, Availability Management, IT Service Continuity Management, Information Security Management, Supplier Management.
- SERVICE TRANSITION: develops and improves functionality for the introduction of new services in the areas supported and describes the following processes: Transition Planning and Support, Change Management, Service Asset and Configuration Management, Release and Deployment Management, Service Validation and Testing, Evaluation, Knowledge Management.
- SERVICE OPERATION: manages services in the areas supported and describes the following processes: Event Management, Incident Management, Request Fulfilment, Problem Management, Access Management. The following functions are also defined in this book: Service Desk, Technical Management, IT Operations Management, Applications Management.
- CONTINUAL SERVICE IMPROVEMENT: creates incremental services and large-scale improvements. The process of improvement described is unique and organized in seven steps.
In this document we concentrate only on the description of some processes, concretely looking at how OTRS supports the application based on the ITIL framework.
First of all OTRS is a Service Desk system and therefore by default:
- acts as a contact point between users and the ITSM
- manages user accidents and problems and supplies an interface for all the other processes such as: